Skip to main content

Students In Transition

Healthy Start - students in transition (SIT)

Students in Transition are children, youth and families who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence and includes:

1. Students who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or similar reason; are living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative adequate accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters; or, are abandoned in hospitals;

2. Students who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as regular sleeping accommodations for human beings

3. Students who are living in cards, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings

4. Migratory children who qualify as homeless because the children are living in conditions described in 1-3 above

5. Unaccompanied youth who are not in the physical custody of a parent or guardian.


Rights of Eligible Children and Youth: Immediate school enrollment, transportation, free schools meals and support for academic success

Healthy Start Referral Form

Students in Transition (Brochure of Services): English / Spanish 

Services: backpacks, school supplies, CalFresh enrollment/ renewal, clothing/ uniform assistance, assistance with completing forms, family advocacy & case management, shelter search assistance

Information & Referral: Medical, dental, counseling, housing, educational programs and food and other resources. 

Health Insurance Enrollment: Healthy Start Registration Technicians have been trained as Certified Enrollment Counselors and as such enroll families without insurance; assist families with their insurance renewal; and help families with insurance questions. (Medi-Cal and Covered California) 

County Office of Education Offices


Santa Cruz County Office of Education               Phone: 831-466-5710 

Monterey County Office of Education                 Phone: 831-755-0300